You've probably heard of drip campaigns from the world of email marketing. Now you can apply the same strategy to your text message campaigns, too.
Text Message Drip Campaigns Are Now Even More Powerful
What exactly is a text message drip campaign? Unlike a normal campaign which you have to manually schedule each time you want to send, a drip campaign sends automatically. Drip campaigns are perfect for welcoming new subscribers, educating customers or nurturing leads.
Once you create a drip campaign, it’ll run in the background and work even when you’re not. It’s almost like having a hard-working, campaign-sending robot that never misses a deadline. Aside from saving time and effort, SMS drip campaigns are also effective at driving conversions.
Marketers have been talking about the efficacy of automation for some time now. And while drip campaigns aren’t necessarily new to the field, they’re still a reliable tool that continually evolves to help you reach customers quickly.
By combining our autoresponder feature with the powerful segments tool, you can create highly relevant drip campaigns that send to the right audience, at the right time.
Segments and Autoresponders Defined
Let’s cover the basics first. Before creating your first text message drip campaign, it’s helpful to understand what segments, autoresponders and data collection are.
Segments A segment is simply a group of subscribers who have something in common. You can segment your audience based on location, opt-in date, opt-in keyword and more.
Autoresponders Autoresponders are a series of messages that are sent automatically after a subscriber joins your list. They can be spaced minutes, weeks, days or even months apart.
Data Collection The data collection feature lets you send a text requesting additional info from subscribers such as first name, last name, location, product preference and more. This data can be used to segment your list.
Text Message Drip Campaign Example
Imagine you’re the owner of a bookstore, and you want to inform your customers about new book releases and upcoming events. You wouldn’t want to text a history aficionado about a new romance novel. And you won’t want to inform a fiction lover that there’s about the biography buffs meetup. With our data collection feature, you could find out exactly what customers are really interested in reading.
With the data collected, you can organize your list based on customer preferences and send a relevant drip campaign to each segment. For example, you may send the following texts to someone interested in novels:
We have some books recommendations we think you’ll love. Check out our monthly favorite fiction picks on our blog: https://bit.ly/2F1yaNY
Hey there, just wanted to let you know about our free novel writing workshop. We meet in the Bookworm cafe every first Monday at 7 p.m. Hope to see you there!
There’s nothing quite like a new book. Come in today and show this text to receive 20% off any fiction paperback.
What Else Can Automated Text Drip Campaigns Be Used For?
When looking for opportunities to save time, why limit yourself? While your business may provide unique opportunities, here are some ideas to get you started. Try setting up a drip campaign to…
- Welcome new subscribers to your list: Use this as an opportunity to introduce yourself and get to know a little more about your new subscriber.
- Send educational content to nurture leads: Relevant content doesn’t always have to mean sales pitches. To further foster a relationship with subscribers it’s nice to send them interested tidbits of valuable information…just because!
- Reengage customers with relevant offers: Don’t lead a lead slip away due to inactivity. It can be difficult when you’re managing large groups of customers to identify when a customer is slipping through the cracks. Drip campaigns can do the work for you by reaching out to inactive customers.
How to Create Segmented Drip Campaigns in SimpleTexting
Once you know how you want to segment your list, and what messages you want to send each segment, you’re ready to get started. Drip campaigns are surprisingly simple to set up. Just follow these steps:
First, Set Up Data Collection
1. Log in to your SimpleTexting dashboard and go to Subscribers. Click “Custom Fields.”
2. Select the type of data you’d like to collect: text, date, numbers, etc.
3. Give each new Custom Field a name
Then, Create Segments
1. Return to the Subscribers panel. Click “Add segment.”
2. Select the criteria you’d like to use to Segment your list then click save.
Lastly, Write Your Autoresponder
1. Go to the Autoresponders panel and click, “New autoresponder.”
2. Give your Autoresponder a name and enter your text in the message field.
3. Select the Segment you’d like your message to go to.
4. Schedule the message delay. Click save.
5. Create a new Autoresponder for every message in your drip campaign.
Five easy steps is all it takes to engage drip messaging. Interested in learning more about other text marketing automations? Check out our blog on how to save time and automate your marketing. Or, connect with one of our super support team members seven days a week!