What is VoIP texting and how does it work?
VoIP technology isn’t just for phone calls. With SimpleTexting, your business can start text marketing through its dedicated VoIP lines.
- Get a new text-enabled number with your area code
- Add texting capabilities to your existing VoIP number
- Send mass texts or have two-way conversations
10+ years in business. 17,000+ paying customers. Billions of texts delivered.
What Is VoIP Texting?
VoIP texting is a text-enabled virtual phone number that isn’t assigned to a device, but rather to a user. And that user (or users) can send texts by using an internet connection. In short, it lets you send text messages to cellphones from your computer or our app.
When you buy a cell phone, you also need to buy a wireless plan to make it more than just a glorified calculator or camera. Cell phone plans enable things like calls, texts, and data, so your device can communicate with other devices.
With VoIP, you can still do all of that, but you’re not limited to a physical phone! You can also:
- Get a new number or bring over your existing number(s)
- Upload contacts who have given you permission to text them
- Create a text-to-join keyword
- Add multiple numbers and multiple team members to your account
- Send text blasts to large groups or chat one-on-one with customers
- Create drip campaigns
- Integrate texting with your other marketing apps
How businesses can use VoIP
Text-enabling your business opens up a plethora of opportunities. Here are just a few of the ways your organization could leverage VoIP to serve your needs.
Provide Customer Support
Top-tier customer support requires a multi-channel approach. A VoIP number gives you the versatility to talk on the phone and text back and forth with customers, all from the same number at the same time.
- Receive inbound messages
- Handle more many customer support inquiries with ease
- Assign support conversations to team members for faster response times
Share Mass Updates
Make it easier for customers, employees, and partners to stay on the same page and communicate with one primary channel to distribute information.
- Broadcast a text message to a group within seconds
- Segment your audience to send more personalized messages to specific sub-groups
- Crackdown on company-wide silos with 90% of text messages read within just three minutes of receipt
One of the most common uses of VoIP numbers is for large conference calls. But what happens after you hang up?
- Easily text out follow-up materials, meeting minutes, and action items
- Schedule ahead texts with follow-up instructions to send when a meeting ends
- Field post-meeting questions in your inbox
Share Scheduling Reminders
You can cut down on missed meetings and appointments dramatically when you combine texting and calling.
- Schedule text messages reminders to send days or hours before a meeting/appointment
- Send trackable links with calendar reminders to invitees
- Integrate texting with popular scheduling tools like Calendly
Benefits of VoIP texting vs. traditional phone-to-phone SMS
Texting is a fantastic tool for reaching people quickly with questions, offers, alerts, and surveys. But what sets VoIP texting apart from using a traditional cell phone to send your organization’s texts?
Reach more customers at once
Automate your processes
Save some money
How does VoIP SMS work?
Any device equipped with Wi-Fi or internet connection (tablets, laptops, desktops, etc.) can act just like a cellphone with VoIP and send text messages.
To the recipient, it’s virtually undetectable that the text is coming from anything other than another phone. But as the sender, you have the added flexibility of texting from anywhere and anything with an internet connection.
If you’re just looking to text-enable your business, it all begins in just a few steps.
- Find a text marketing platform (we hear SimpleTexting is a fan favorite 😉).
- Work with the provider to either text-enable your existing 10-digit number, choose and verify a toll-free line, register a local number, or provision a short code.
- Within minutes your business will be up, running, and ready to send/receive texts.
💡 SimpleTexting Tip: Here at SimpleTexting we’re a provider who is actually able to text-enable VoIP numbers. So if you’d like to add voice services alongside your number, know that you might actually end up saving money by opting for a third-party VoIP provider for calling, and SimpleTexting for your SMS needs.
How does VoIP SMS work?
We hope after this crash course on VoIP texting, you’re feeling a little more confident in your options. To see if SimpleTexting is the right VoIP texting platform for your business, test it out with our free 14-day trial.
As this technology continues to evolve, so do we! Let us help you work through the digital minefield that is the world of virtual communication.