Text message marketing—the use of targeted text messages to advertise or promote a product, service, or event—is an incredibly effective way to get your message out.
But why exactly is text messaging so powerful in comparison with other forms of digital and print media?
Here are five great reasons:
1. Texts are popular
Chances are good that almost every one of your potential customers is carrying a cellphone in their pocket or purse. 80% of users keep their phone on them at all times, and an astonishing 90% of young adults (18-29) even sleep with their phones in bed or within arm’s reach!
What’s more, 95% of mobile phones can receive text messages and 97% of young adults use text messaging regularly. Can you believe that Americans send and receive 6.3 billion text messages every day? That’s 2.3 trillion texts a year!
2. Texts are intimate
With so many texts being exchanged every day, you’d think a large number would impersonal spam that gets ignored. You’d be wrong.
Unlike any other media, every text message is considered important.
Why? Almost every text is sent to or from a close friend or family member. More than any other channel of communication, text messaging is personal and intimate.
In fact, text messaging is the most frequently used medium for personal written communications for adults under 35.
Unlike direct mail or emails, the SMS field isn’t oversaturated with advertising. This translates into unprecedented visibility for your marketing message, as virtually every text message is eagerly read. Bringing us to our next topic…
3. Texts are NOT ignored
As people rely more and more on technology to access information, it can be a challenge to get your message across amid all the competition. But text message marketing is different: The New York Times calls it “the closest thing in the information-overloaded digital marketing world to a guaranteed read.”
Want proof? Check out these mind-blowing stats:
- Less than 5% of marketing emails are ever opened, and even less are actually read; an unparalleled 97% of SMS marketing messages are read
- Text messaging boasts a 14.06% CTR (click-through rate) and an 8.22% conversion rate, dwarfing the rates of email (6.64% CTR, 1.73% conversion) and display ads (0.76%, 4.43%)
- SMS marketing generates a response rate up to 10 times greater than Internet display ads
4. Texts are immediate
People read new text messages almost immediately. Other forms of communication don’t even come close to astonishing numbers like these:
- 90% of text messages are read within 3 minutes of reception
- 98% of texts are read within an hour
- 99% of texts are read eventually
Good luck getting that kind of instant exposure from email.
This means your SMS campaign can be flexible and responsive:Text your customers when business is getting slow to see results fast.
5. Texts are sent to an involved audience
Most advertisements are ignored because most people aren’t interested in their message. But since people opt in to receive your texts, your marketing content is guaranteed to reach an audience genuinely interested in your message.
A 2009 study by Opus Research found that opt-in SMS marketing results in more targeted promotions and, in turn, more effective results.
Similarly, Forrester analyst Nate Elliot writes that when text message marketing is targeted well, “users stop thinking of it as marketing and start thinking of it as content, or a service.”
When you use SimpleTexting to have customers opt in to your SMS list, you’re doing more than marketing: You’re sparking an ongoing relationship with an audience that is interested in your message and responsive to your business.
Review: Text messaging vs. other media
It’s not difficult to make the case for text messaging.
- Direct mail (aka “snail mail”) is slow and often thrown in the trash without a glance
- Telephone calls are often untimely, annoying, and intrusive
- Emails are usually impersonal and disregarded as spam
Relying on any of these mediums to deliver your message is risky business (without the rewards).
Where these channels of communication fall short, text messaging excels. Popular, personal, immediate, involving, and never ignored, text messaging is the perfect way to effectively reach your audience and keep them coming back.
- Millennials and Gen Z: 86% Like SMS in the Interview Process
- Euphoria Found: The Conversion Rate Went Crazy When They Danced with SMS
- 2017 SimpleTexting $1,000 Canadian College Scholarship Contest
- 2017 SimpleTexting $1,000 College Scholarship Contest
- How Dress for Success Uses SMS to Help Women Find Jobs