It's possible to get back SMS messages that were accidentally lost or deleted. Follow this step-by step guide to quickly and safely recover your texts.
It can happen to anyone. You’re searching your phone for an important text and that’s when you realize…you accidentally deleted it. Don’t panic. We’ve learned a thing or two after helping thousands of customers send out millions of messages, including how to retrieve lost texts.
Whether you deleted your text messages to make room on your device or it was just an accidental swipe of the thumb, it’s possible to get them back. Follow this step-by-step guide to recover lost SMS messages from your iPhone or Android device.
Recover Lost Texts Using iTunes
If you regularly backup your iPhone to iTunes, this is the easiest way to recover your lost text messages.
- Connect your device to your computer and launch iTunes.
- Click on the device name on the left.
- Under “Backups” choose “Restore Backup.”
- That’s it. All the texts from your most recent backup are now on your device.
Please note that this method will replace your current data with your most recent backup.
Recover Lost Texts Using iCloud
Most iPhones automatically backup SMS messages to the iCloud. All iPhone users receive 5GB of free iCloud space. If you’ve upgraded your account, it is likely that all of your text message data is stored safely.
- Log in to your iCloud account with your Apple ID and password.
- Click on “Text Messages.” This option will only appear if your messages have been backed up.
- Search through your messages to find what you’re after.
- Navigate to settings on your iPhone and click on “iCloud.”
- Turn “Text Messages” off. (Trust us.)
- Click “Keep on My iPhone” on the pop-up.
- Turn “Text Messages” back on.
- Tap ‘Merge’, and wait for a few messages for your messages to reappear.
Recover Lost Texts Using Third-Party Apps
Just because you clicked “delete” doesn’t necessarily mean your message is gone. If you don’t use iTunes or iCloud to keep your data backed up, you may be able to recover deleted iPhone data using a third-party data recovery app. These apps also work with Android devices. There is a large market for data recovery apps that don’t actually work very well. If the companies don’t have a clear explanation of how recovery will work or any contact information on their websites, it’s best to stay away. Two companies with good reputations are Tenorshare iPhone Data Recovery and PhoneRescue by iMobie.
Avoid Headaches with Regular Backups
It’s always a good idea to maintain an up-to-date backup of your important data and messages. That way you never have to worry about accidentally deleting an important text message.