Video is one of the most engaging forms of media according to customers. Learn how to utilize its power and work it into your SMS marketing strategy.
Just when you thought your multi-media marketing strategy had reached peak performance, video marketing came knocking on the door demanding space at the table. Not only has the number of businesses investing in video marketing increased, but nearly 83% have reported back a positive ROI!
Video content is a great way to visually show off your brand. But it has benefits that extend beyond just entertainment. Learn how to master the art of video communications and work it into your existing text marketing strategy.
Why Send Videos via Text Message?
Videos are the real star of the meal. As original storytelling mechanisms they take a little more time to create, but the payoff can be great…
- 54% of consumers want to see more video content from a brand or business they support.
- YouTube reports mobile video consumption rises 100% every year
- Video marketers get 66% more qualified leads per year
- After watching a video, 64% of users are more likely to buy a product online
So, what is it about videos that sticks? Why do customers gravitate towards them no matter what else is on the page? We have a few theories:
- Videos build trust: It’s called photoshop for a reason. It’s much easier to altar a product photo as opposed to a product video. In addition, videos give customers a chance to see a product demonstration all while they hear spoken instructions. By providing a multi-sensory experience, customers can get a fuller picture of what you’re showing them, and in turn trust is built.
- Videos can increase your SEO: Google measures how much time someone spends on your webpage and uses that as an indicator that you’re providing valuable content. Naturally, if you’re sitting and watching a video, you’re automatically spending more time on a page. Studies have revealed you’re 53 times more likely to show up first on Google search results if you have a video embedded on your website.
- Video is the easiest media to consume: If you had to put together a book shelf would you rather read the instructions, or follow along with a video? Your customer are busy, and they certainly appreciate catching a break. Sitting back and pressing play is about as easy as it comes.
- Video is shareable: The goal of a marketing campaign is to generate buzz. You have your target audience, but the hope is your material will be shared by them to reach newer and broader demographics. The visual and entertainment factors video brings to the table makes it desirable material for people to share (via text, social media, email, etc).
Examples of When to Send a Video Text Message
As great of a tool that video is, you don’t want to overdo it. If you’re trying to decide if it’s an appropriate context to utilize video, it’s best to stick to the situations where video really shines.
- How-to videos: If given the opportunity, providing instructional videos in addition to text is a great way to provide options and elevate the customer experience.
- Product demos: Similar to the instructional video the product demo gives customers a chance to see what they’re going to buy in action. And, after watching a video, 64% of users are more likely to buy a product online
- Review videos: There are people out there who make millions of dollars each year from reviewing products/services and posting those videos on Youtube. Consumers trust their peers, and when they can actually see the people behind the review that trust skyrockets.
- Storytelling: All videos, no matter the length, should aim to tell a story. However, in some industries like nonprofit, creating videos with the sole purpose of telling a story is a great way to emotionally appeal to users. That appeal can help you accomplish your organization’s goals, whether that’s finding more volunteers or raising funds.
An example of a company who dominates video content is Newell Brands. Home to household names such as Sharpie, Rubbermaid, Marmot, and Coleman, Newell reaches their target audience with each brand through video.
Now, you might be wondering why you’re reading about video marketing on a website all about texting. But the two are more connected than you might haver thought. 90% of consumers watch videos on their mobile devices.
Check out their Youtube channel for some inspiration. Whether it’s shining a light on company culture, or showing customers unique ways to use their products, Newell has mastered the art of video.
How to Send or Attach Videos in a Text Message
There are two ways to send a text message: via SMS or MMS. SMS is a traditional text message built to support words and links. MMS on the other hand was developed to send rich media like photos and videos. While both are capable of sending video files, they’ll show up a little differently depending on how you send them. But more on that in a moment.
There’s one important thing you should keep in mind before you start texting out videos. It has to do with the size of your file.
If you want to attach a video so it appears directly in your message, your video must be 1 MB or less. If you know your video is going to be longer, you may instead want to send it as a link, which is the first method we’ll walk you through.
💡SimpleTexting Tip: It’s also important to note that MMS is only available on some short codes. If you are using a toll-free number, these are the file types accepted:
- 15MB upload limit for PNG, JPG/JPEG, GIF
- 600KB upload limit for TXT, animated GIF
How to Attach a Video as a Link in Your Text Message
If you want to send your subscribers a video larger than 1 MB, you will have to do this via a link. You can send that link via an SMS message.
- Begin by logging in to your SimpleTexting dashboard and starting a new campaign. Make sure you select SMS as the type.
- In your message box, paste a link to a Youtube or Vimeo video of your choice.
- Utilize the URL shortener by clicking the “Shorten URLs” button above your text. By shortening your URL you not only save space and characters, but you can also collect data! Track who did and did not click on your link for each campaign.
- Your video will appear as a link in the message box. The URL is automatically shortened, and it will appear in the preview box on the right just as it will appear to your recipient.
- Type out your message as you normally would, and schedule/send your campaign!
The result is a message that looks like this to recipients. When they click the link, they will be redirected to view your video.
How to Attach a Video Directly Into Your Text Message
Once again, we’ll reiterate that in order to send a video directly in a text message, the file must be 1 MB or less. If your file size is larger than that, you can attempt to compress it. Depending on your level of expertise, there are a few ways to do this.
If you have the software, the easiest way to do this is through Adobe Premier. Here, you can directly set your compression to a major amount (aka 1 MB). There are other free tools out there that take a few extra steps, like HandBrake, or Wondershare.
Once your video is compressed, you need to ensure it’s saved as either MP4, or AMR. Once again, there are plenty of free tools on the internet that can assist you with the conversion.
From there you’re ready to send your video!
- Begin by logging in to your SimpleTexting dashboard and starting a new campaign. Make sure you select MMS as the type.
- In your message box, select the paperclip icon.
- Select upload, and proceed to select and upload your desired 1 MB video. You can also upload it by pasting in a URL. Once your video is uploaded, select it and press the blue include button.
- Your video will appear directly in your message for recipients to click and view right in the text.
No matter how you decide to send your video, just remember that you’re always telling a story! Keep that as well as your customers front of mind and you’re sure to join the thousands of marketers who are taking on mobile video marketing like rockstars.